Australians and government in particular should support Australian businesses and our quality Australian made goods because of the hugely beneficial flow-on effects to the Australian economy. The term 'Australian Made' should mean just that, so consumers can make an informed choice.
Examples of what needs to be done:
- Labelling laws must be overhauled to provide consumers with truth in labelling as to the ingredients and their country of origin
- Introduce an Australian Made labelling category where 75% or more of the labour component to manufacture or assemble the product was undertaken by Australian residents
- A single federal authority should be formed to accredit the use of all Made in Australia symbols
- Government departments should be required to procure a much greater proportion of Australian produced and manufactured products and services
- Have more effective anti-dumping laws to prevent below-cost imported goods flooding the market and destroying Australian jobs in the process