Australia needs a comprehensive strategic approach to protect, invest and grow our own food production resources. It is an integral part of our national security.
Examples of what needs to be done:
- Change competition laws to allow for the break up of companies that abuse their market power in their dealings with farmers
- Establish a rural development bank that will make it easier for farmers to access finance.
- Create incentives to invest in agriculture, including for our super funds
- Overhaul and implement truthful food labelling laws. Our current laws that allow imported produce to be passed off as Australian are costing our farmers jobs
- Scrap the punitive AQIS charges on small exporters that destroy incentives to export